Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Michael Jackson Simulchat Interview 1995



Simulchat Interview Thursday, 17 August 1995
On August 17th, Michael met with all his fans around the world on a simulchat
including the Internet, Compuserve, America Online, and Prodigy. It was also
televised by MTV.

TRANSCRIPT:
Compuserve Question from ORLANDO, FL: [76711,475] Janice Maki Brandon:
I have been a long time fan and I just want to know how, after all the bad press, you
can keep going and doing the best job that any rock star can do? Is it the fact you have
such a wonderful wife supporting you, or are there other reasons you stay so damn
great?
Michael Jackson: Despite of what the press says about celebrities and myself in
general, I move ahead. I don't pay attention to that tabloid junk - it's garbage. I have
my dreams I am a visionary and I am very resilient. I feel as if I have a suit of armor
around me, like a rhinoceros skin. I am here to do what I am supposed to do. Thank
you for asking the first question.
Compuserve Question from MANCHESTER, NH: [102331,3335] Brett Mallard: If
you could be any super hero... like Batman, Superman, et al.. whom would you
choose to be and why?
Michael Jackson: I like Batman a lot... If I could choose one, it would be Morph,
from the X-Men. He can become anything ... He constantly transforms himself. I
think he can even teleport, which is interesting and exciting to me. He's not as popular
as the others, but that makes him exciting.

Prodigy Question from Darkan: Are you ever going to tour America?
Michael Jackson: I'm not exactly sure, we kind of play it by ear, kind of
spontaneous. It would be nice, but I'm not sure.
Internet Question from Brian: Is your new album doing as well as expected? Go
MJ!!
Michael Jackson: Yes, I am overly excited about how well the album is doing. It is
the fastest selling album in my career. Despite what the press is saying.
Unprecedented 7 million worldwide sold in the first week!
Prodigy Question from Spin Cycle: Michael, thanks for coming. What is your
favorite song on your newest CD?
Michael Jackson: Probably Earth Song, Stranger in Moscow, Little Susie. I love
songs with heart.
AOL Question from Jocelyn: When will the 3T album be in the store?
Michael Jackson: The 3-T are expected around this Christmas. They're going to be
very successful.
Prodigy Question from Bruce Ross: How has your marriage to Lisa Marie changed
your life?
Michael Jackson: I think I find it more fun to appreciate what family really means.
the fact that even though there were 10 of us Jacksons and we were always doing
things at different times and I am really learning the real meaning of love. Giving
100% of yourself all the time. Putting up with one another. So far it has been pretty
joyous.

Compuserve Question from KANSAS CITY, MO. Jim Shea: Do you ever wish
you could walk into a public place and not be mobbed by your fans?
Michael Jackson: I have every disguise you can think of... that is why I wish I could
be Morph so I could change places and just enjoy life. I would love to do that.
Prodigy Question from Ally W: Hi Michael. You have an amazing voice. Whose
music has helped influence your music most?
Michael Jackson: Thank you for the compliment. That is very nice. To be honest, my
first love and appreciation for music was classical, in kindergarten. I used to listen to
Tchaikovsky every day. The great writing of Richard Rodgers and Oscar
Hammerstein, and many others. I love the showtunes.
AOL Question from Marlie14: In your interview with Diane Sawyer, you
mentioned moving out of the country. Is this in your future plans?
Michael Jackson: Yes it is.
Prodigy Question from Rros: Where is the most favorite place in the world that you
have traveled to and where would you most like to travel to
Michael Jackson: My most favorite place that I've traveled to probably would have
to be between South America and Africa. Because I love the people, and I love the
culture. The plight of the children is very interesting and I would love to continue to
travel...to see more things and to help more people.

Compuserve Question from ENCINITAS, CA., Gary M. Richards: MICHAEL
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SONG THAT YOU HAVE RECORDED? AND DO
YOU STILL HAVE THE PET MONKEY NAMED BUBBLES, WHO WAS
SHOWN IN YOUR GENESIS VIDEO GAME, MOONWALKER?
Michael Jackson: If I had to pick one song... that's very difficult. Probably Ben, Got
to Be There, Heal The World, one of the oldies. Bubbles is still alive and still my pet
chimp. He's bigger, likes to eat a lot...lots of pizza, ice cream...He loves snacks!
[Michael laughs]
Internet Question from MJJ: You have accomplished so much in life. What else
would you like to accomplish in life?
Michael Jackson: I love movies my dream is to make films, not only act and sing but
to produce them as well. And I love animation.
Prodigy Question from SiBiS: In Oprah's interview, you said that you wanted to
raise a family one day..Do you plan to do so??

Michael Jackson: Yes, that's my dream for a long time. My own children, I want to
adopt them. Not only my own, but children all over the world. I think we should be
less territorial about it.
Compuserve Question from LOMBARD, IL., Kurt A. Lentsch: How did you like
working with your sister Janet on the "Scream" Video and also working with your
beautiful bride, Lisa Marie. PS Best of luck to you two, don't listen to all the BS going
around!
Michael Jackson: That is a great question! The press creates all of these negative
stories so that people will buy their magazines or read their columns and you must not
believe everything you read or see on television. Most of it is false and it is tabloid
garbage and I want everyone to be aware of what the tabloid media is like. I have had
so much fun working with my sister and working on the set everyday. I haven't seen
her in quite some time and she is busy and I am as well and it is like a reunion.
Because of all the family members I am closest to Janet and we became very
emotional on the set. We gave each other presents but every day on the set sometimes
she would come to me sad because of some crazy story that some tabloid said. I told
her that she would have to become resilient because it is there and I want the public to
know. And Yes I had fun with Lisa Marie on the set. She wanted to perform in the
video. I had a lot of fun with Lisa Marie on the set. But when the director said
"Action," she became very shy. I was giving her a little bit of a hard time, too!

Prodigy Question from Gemseeker: When did you learn to Moonwalk? I think it's
so cool.
Michael Jackson: Thank you sooo much. I've always loved illusion dancing, where
you can create an illusion with the body. There's a new step working on called
Skywalk. I've been working on it.
Prodigy Question from blondie101: What inspired you to write the song "Beat It"?
Michael Jackson: Quincy Jones, for the album THRILLER, asked me to write a song
with a rock edge to it. I said yes, I can do that. So the very same day, I went to the
recording studio, and I literally just started to sing that song. It literally came that fast.
Every song is different. The gestation process for BEAT IT was so fast, it was
amazing. I thought about what I'd do in that situation... A confrontation with a gang...
I wouldn't do what these people would do. The way I was raised I would turn the
other cheek without creating a war or being a coward either.
Compuserve Question from VANCOUVER, WA., Brandon: I come from a large
family is it hard for you to see the animosity between your sister LaToya and yourself.
you seem to be above all the petty gossip that others love to spread. I just want to give
you two thumbs up on your maturity.
Michael Jackson: Gee - thank you very much! I love you. Thank you.

Prodigy Question from Curveball: Will there be a next album?
Michael Jackson: I am not sure. This might be my last album I ever do. I will always
create music but am not sure if I'll create another album.
Prodigy Question from Midway Gal: How did you get into music?
Michael Jackson: I don't think I can answer that without sounding philosophical. We
never had music or dance lessons in our house, ever. We were a family that sang all
the time. We watched television. We would entertain ourselves... We would take all
the furniture out of the living room and dance. I think you're pretty much born with a
gift and you are compelled to create. That is what I have always felt. I remember
making up songs when I was really little. I remember when I was little there was rain
outside and we would make up songs. Janet and I would have a songwriting game
while we washed the dishes...while we were cleaning. I think most kids don't do that
these days. It was our destiny.
AOL Question from EvenBeevu: Do you come up with the ideas for all of your
videos?
Michael Jackson: A lot of them I do come up with. A lot of the concepts do originate
with me. After singing Thriller I knew that I wanted to do a short film. Asimple guy
goes out on a date and confesses to her that he's different. I wanted totransform into
different things. It was fun. I had so much fun making that. Beat It is another concept
that I came up with. Confrontation -two gangs - West Side Story. I wanted real gang
members. I wanted to see real truisms...in the walk, in the character in the clothes. and
I thinkit came across.

Prodigy Question from Pelon: What has been your proudest musical achievement?
Michael Jackson: One of them it is really a difficult question to answer because I am
not a women but writing a song is like conceiving a child... I love all the songs . We
are the World is one of the most favorite things that I've done. I am proud of that... it
has reached a lot of people, it has touched a lot of people. My Secretary called when I
was in the car and said pull over. And it was like a prayer when all of the radio
stations played it. I had tears.
Compuserve Question from MELBOURNE, FL., Firefly: Michael, I was
wondering if/when we will see more of the old-style video's and mini-movies like
"Thriller" and "Moonwalker?"
Michael Jackson: I love that. That's what I want to get back to doing. Well those
types of short films are my favorite because it is not just a video in the sense of videos
and images and graphics...it's a short story. But to do those takes us up to 4, 5, 6, 7
months sometimes and that has become a problem. We are going back to that. That is
my dream.
I'd like to make this announcement: My nephews are in here and want to sit in and
listen!
[nephews are entering the room]

Compuserve Question from SEATTLE, WA: [76550,2570] Natalie Ringland:
You seem to be interested in many cultures. Have you ever studied the North? I live
in an Inupiat Eskimo village at the top of Alaska. Life is different here. If you ever
visit, the land and people here might inspire you. Do you travel for inspiration? --
Natalie
Michael Jackson: Yes I do travel for inspiration and I would love to come to Alaska
someday. I have flown over Alaska and I do love to travel. Maybe with your extended
invitation I might be able to come!
Prodigy Question from Frogbelly: In your song "Childhood" you sing about how
you've never really known the joys of youth. What is the one thing you missed the
most?
Michael Jackson: Probably the simple little things that kids do like having a friend
over or going to the park or even trick-or-treat or Christmas or birthday and when we
were little we didn't have any of those things. We had to hear about them. Some of the
kids who take them for granted. I haven't celebrated my birthday yet. Maybe someday
I will.

Prodigy Question from Diva: Michael, I love HIStory and think it's the best yet.
When are you going to release the videos as a complete set?
Michael Jackson: Thank you for the compliment. I worked very hard. This
Christmas I think we are going to have a complete up to date of the shorts on one
volume.
AOL Question from Applehead: It's one of Apple head's friends, guess which
one...hint Family Matters...what is your favorite song on HIStory? Tell Lisa Marie
and Janet I said hi!
Michael Jackson: I know exactly who that is! [laughter in the room] My favorite
song is probably "Childhood" "Earth Song". But nice to hear from you Brighton, hope
I get to see you soon. Tell all my other relatives I said hello.
Prodigy Question from Mr Potter: Do you ever wish you could play small rooms
with intimate audiences instead of mega-productions?
Michael Jackson: Yes. I think that is the mark of a true performer, to be able to reach
any audience around the world, any size. If you can directly relate to a small group,
magic starts to happen. I started out playing those kinds of concerts. This Christmas,
I'm doing an HBO special (Dec 10), and it is intimate. It's close-up. It will allow me to
do a lot of things I've never done before.

Compuserve Question from EXTERNAL NETWORK - Sam Clarke: Story in
UK press this morning claims quickie divorce on the cards? Is it true?
Michael Jackson: Never believe the tabloid garbage. Don't waste your time, don't
waste your money. No, it's not true. If you hear it from my lips, then you can believe
it. But no, it's not true.
Internet Question From MJJ: What is your process from going from creating a
rhythm on your human voice-box to the album version, such as in songs 'Who Is It'
and 'Tabloid Junkie'?
Michael Jackson: the process is creating a vocal rhythm to a click track - which is a
sound, a timed beat. And you're doing these mouth sounds to that beat. These sounds
can be looped according to how you sample it in the computer again and again. This
is your foundation for the entire track - everything plays off this. It's the rhythm, like
the beatbox rhythm. Every song I've written since I was very little I've done that way.
I still do it that way.

AOL Question from Smufetty: I love you and have enjoyed your music since icould
hear and see..just one question: how can you keep going when the media makes
everything so hard?
Michael Jackson: Thank you for your compliment, I appreciate it.I believe in my
work, like I said, I have great confidence in my dreams. When I have a great idea I
have an iron will, Even though the media creates such negative stories they do it just
to sell more papers. If you look throughout history, and I'm not trying to put my name
with the names of the past it's been pretty much the same. Ghandi, Christ and I'm not
saying I'm Christ, I don't want to hear the press saying that. Some of the worst
attentions had to do with ignorance on the part of the people because of the press. If it
happened to them, it can happen to me.

AOL Question from DanielStein: If you could meet someone dead or alive and talk
with them for an hour who would it be and why. P.S. Rock on with your bad self!
Michael Jackson: It would probably be Michelangelo because I think he is a
phenomenal artist and I love art I think I understand what he was trying to say and do
even though he got criticized. He was a true artist to the point of true artistry. I would
love to just sit down and have a talk.
Prodigy Question from Tristene: Who is your best friend?
Michael Jackson: Pretty much the same as I've said...the children of the world...for
their innocence, their simplicity, and their love. It's the same kind of innocence that I
find in animals. They just want you for your love, and I love that.
Compuserve Question from BOUNDBROOK, NJ - AL & MEG: WHAT WAS IT
THAT INSPIRED YOU TO BECOME INVOLVED IN HELPING AS MANY
CHILDREN AS YOU DO? I THINK WHAT YOU DO FOR CHILDREN IS JUST
WONDERFUL. YOU ARE WHAT THESE CHILDREN NEED TO KEEP THEM
GOING WHEN TIMES ARE SO TOUGH.

Michael Jackson: I truly care about children, and about the future for our children.
I'm a little frightened about what the future is going to bring. I truly, truly love them
and care about them. I will always help them. When I go on tour, I visit hospitals,
terminally ill children. At my ranch at Neverland, we have many terminally ill
children as our guests. We do this every few weeks. You do it because you truly love
them and you care.
Internet Question From MJJ: It is rumored (I know you hate that word) that you are
doing another book... Do you plan another book, if so, what will it contain?
Michael Jackson: I wrote a book called DANCING THE DREAM. It was more
autobiographical than Moonwalker, which I did with Mrs. Onassis. It wasn't full of
gossip and scandal and all the trash that people write so I don't think people paid
much attention to it, but it came from my heart. It was essays, thoughts, things that
I've thought about while on tour. I'm not planning to write another book anytime soon.
If you want to know how I to feel, you can check out HIStory. It's a musical book.
Prodigy Question from Gemseeker: When & How did you learn to moonwalk? I
think it's sooooo cool! :>

Michael Jackson: Thank you soooo much! I've always loved illusion dancing when
you can pretty much create a step or an illusion with the body. THere's a new step that
looks like you defy gravity that I've been working on for along time. One of my
favorite movers is Marcel Marceau. But a lot of the steps that I do come from my
heart. A lot of the steps come from the black community. From tap dancing, to the
cake walk, to the Charleston. All these dances come from the black community to go
all over the world.
Compuserve Question from COMPUSERVE REROUTED - Jamie Ballengee:
Mr. Jackson, What advice would you give someone who is in a similar position with
the bad things from the press? My little sister Andrea Ballengee lost her Miss VA
crown. Sad
Michael Jackson: You don't pay attention to it. You become strong, you move ahead.
The best advice I can give is to believe in yourself, know there's a tomorrow, walk
tall...don't pay attention to the garbage...it's complete ignorance.
Internet Question From MsMittens: Oh... before I forget... someone from the
internet who couldn't access this site asked me to ask you how you are doing and why
you are doing the simulchat tonight?

Michael Jackson: I'm fine, doing all right. [laughs] I'm doing this simulchat because
I love my fans, and I want to talk with you! I think this is incredible technology, just
amazing, and I think we're pioneering here! Can I say hello to a couple of my friends?
Hello, Lisa Marie...Hello, Paul McCartney...Hello, Mrs. Disney... Hello to my friends
in Gary, Indiana...I can't think of a good joke to say... I want to say I love all of you,
all of my fans around the world I love you dearly and don't listen to all the garbage
that you hear.
AOL Question from VanishR29: How do you feel about technology like the internet
and it's effect on society?
Michael Jackson: I think it is wonderful. It is a wonderful way to correspond it's
growing and this is the tip of the iceberg. In the next year we will see some amazing
growths in technology and I hope that I'm around to see it. I pray that we continue to
serve the world in a positive way not a negative way and not hurt anyone because it is
wonderful.
Internet Question From MJJ: How involved are you with the other groups on the
MJJ label?
Michael Jackson: I'm very much involved, not to the point of always being there, but
listening to tapes, collaborating on the telephone, picking artists recommending ideas.
The new 3T album which I just heard I think is going to be a big success. I do believe
that.
I want to say hi to Bill Bellamy in LA - he's a great guy.
Thank you! Good night everybody. Talk to you soon. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment